Saturday, September 19, 2009

Study of Cubist painting






I have always been interested in Cubist practices, in my opinion, Cubist painting and drawing are technical, which I was drawn into the geometric shapes and the dark and light contrast. Cubist painting reviews a new way of seeing the object, shows the 3 dimension in a 2 dimension surface.

Red Chair
Oil on canvas
51 x 41 cm
Blues on the Porch
Oil on Canvas
2004
51 x 68 cm

These works are painted by D.M .Ross, who is known as a contemporary cubist. In his blog, he mentioned "With no formal art education or training I began painting as a method of releasing a creative urge. My influences are quite obviously the great Cubists - (Picasso, Braque, Gris etc.) but I enjoy a wide variety of work , including Cezanne , Bacon, Pollock, Audette,Gleeson ...too many to mention.
Some of my pieces can linger un-finished for years as I wait for the picture to reveal itself to me, and it is not unusual for them to be "modified" months after I believe they are finished. Other times paintings can be finished in a week."

The difference between his works and other traditional cubist works which I found, that he used many different range of colours in his practice, and his works are more recognizable to the object itself, in which after the cubism movement, cubists started working towards abstraction and dadaism.
The method of cubist painting has never been reviewed, cubists seem are finding their own way of expressing their practice. I have been researching, studying and practicing cubist painting. The drawing I have done which I could see a sense of cubism within, but it was not the correct way to express it, not as the method that explain in the articles or books about cubist painting. I started working on my first cubist painting, which I found it is a lot harder than my drawing practice, drawing has more control of what you creating, but painting is more lose, especially towards lines and shapes.


No comments:

Post a Comment